Source: "Manual of the Churches of Seneca County with sketches of their pastors, 1895-96", compiled and published by the Courier Printing Co., Seneca Falls, NY 1896.
Rev. William Smith Carter, pastor of the Presbyterian church in Waterloo, was born in Albany, N.Y., January 12th, 1858. Three years after the civil war, his parents removed to Oneida, N.Y., where his boyhood and early school days were passed. In the spring of 1873 he entered the preparatory school at Whitestown, N.Y. and in the fall of 1875 he entered Hamilton college, from which institution he was graduated in 1879. Mr. Carter began his special training for the gospel ministry by entering the Theological seminary at Auburn, in the fall of 1879. In the spring of 1881 he was licensed to preach by the Utica Presbytery. The following summer he spent on the prairies of Northwestern Minnesota, where he served as a Home Missionary, commissioned by the American Board of Missions. Upon his graduation from Auburn Theological seminary in May, 1882, Mr. Carter was called to the joint pastorate of the two churches of Mansfield and Covington, Pa. In the fall of 1882 he was ordained to the Gospel Ministry by the Wellsboro Presbytery in session at Coudersport, Pa. For nearly three years he occupied the pastorate of the Mansfield and Covington churches. In April, 1885. Mr. Carter accepted the call to the First Presbyterian Church of Waterloo, N.Y., his present pastorate, where he has for eleven years many evidences of church growth and prosperity. Mr. Carter has had the honor of serving Geneva Presbytery as its moderator, as delegate to Synot, as commissioner to the General Assembly at Washington in 1893, and as commissioner for five years to the Auburn Theological seminary. He is now president of the minister's club of Geneva. January 31st, 1895, Mr. Carter married Mss Ella Peirson, the elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin C. Peirson of Waterloo, N.Y.
This transcription provided courtesy of Dianne Thomas.
Back to Churches Index Page
Back to Seneca County NYGenWeb
© 1999-2015 Diane Lerch Kurtz / Dianne Thomas
© 2015 Seneca County NYGenWeb