Philo Frisbie Ogden was born at Sennett, N. Y., May 29, 1850. At the age of fourteen he was converted under the preaching of Rev. N. R. Evarts, who, a year later baptized him. Almost at once the thought of preaching the gospel came into his mind, and soon became a conviction of duty. His parents kept him in attendance at the public school until the age of fourteen. After one term at Auburn Academy, he entered the Monroe Collegiate Institute at Elbridge, N. Y. In September 1869, he entered the senior class of the grammar school of Madison University, graduating successively from it and the college and theological departments of Madison University, (now Colgate.) In 1873, he married Stella E., daughter of Hon. Herman Benton, or Ira, N. Y. His first pastorate was at Williamson, N. Y., where he labored two years and where he was ordained August, 1876. In 1879 he removed to Michigan, in which State he accepted successively the pastorates of churches at Paw Paw, Monroe and Clinton.
A change of climate becoming a necessity for Mr. Ogden and his family, he accepted the pastorate of the church at Addison, Vt., in the Spring of 1887, where he labored more than three years. Declining overtures to remain in Vermont, he entered the pastorate of the Baptist Church of Romulus, N. Y., November 1, 1890. Here a small church debt was paid and thirty-seven names added to the roll of members, and the church grew rapidly. April 1, 1894, Mr. Ogden retired to Lyons, N. Y., and took a year of needed rest. In the winter of 1895, the Romulus Church again called him to the pastorate, but he was obliged to decline. He was then called by the Ovid Center Church, entering upon his labors May 1, 1895.
His aim as pastor is to present clearly and impressively the fundamental principles of the Christian faith by word and life, and use all gifts and opportunities in a conscientious effort to build up the Kingdom of Christ.
This transcription provided courtesy of Rick White.
Back to Churches Index Page
Back to Seneca County NYGenWeb
© 2007-2015 Diane Lerch Kurtz / Rick White
© 2015 Seneca County NYGenWeb