Methodist Episcopal Church of Ovid
Town of Ovid, Seneca County, NY
Source: "Manual of the Churches of Seneca County with sketches of their pastors, 1895-96", compiled and published by the Courier Printing Co., Seneca Falls, NY 1896.
The name of Ovid first appears as an appointment in the year 1820 with Rev. Jonathan Hustis, as preacher in charge. Previous to his time it was part of the Seneca circuit. The first preacher of who many re-cord is known was James Smith in the year 1793. After the appointment of Hustis in 1820, the name was changed back to Seneca Circuit and so continued until 1827 when the name Ovid again appears with William Fowler as preacher.
William Fowler organized the first Methodist class in the village, consist-ing of the following persons: Elijah Horton, Ann Horton, Noah Barnum, Lucy Barnum, Alice DeMott, Delos Hutchings, Sarah McQuigg and Lydia Demond. In 1829-30 the name appears as the Ovid and Ulysses Circuit with J. Chamberlain and G. Osbond as preachers. Great revivals prevailed at this time, and opened the way for building the church. In this enterprise Esq. Osborn of Sheldrake took an active Part. In 1831-32 William Snow was preacher in charge; 1833, James Hale and D. Hutchings; 1834, J. Hustis and Noble Palmenter; 1835, J. Hustis, W. H. Goodwin and B. Shipman, the latter preaching at Ovid and Sheldrake. This was the first attempt to sustain a station at Ovid alone.
In 1836-37, Ovid and Trumansburg were united as a circuit, J. W. Nevins and J. Denis preachers. In 1840-41, S. Mattison preached at Ovid and Sheldrake; 1842, G. D. Perry; 1843-44, B. Harrington was preacher in charge; at this time the church was rebuilt; in 1846 Sheldrake was separated from Ovid. During the pastorate of Moses Crow, 1847, a lot was bought and a parsonage built. From this time until I868, the following persons served the charge as pastors: E. G. Townsend, B. T. Tracy, Robert Hogoboom, H. T. Giles, J. T. Arnold, D. Hutchings, N. N. Beers, C. Coats, J. C. Hitchcock, J. Alabaster and M. S. Leet. The present church building was erected during the pastorate of G. W. Chandler, who was appointed in 1868. From 1871, which marked the close of G. W. Chandler's pastorate, the following persons have been appointed and have served the Ovid Church as pastors: Martin Wheeler, W. H. Goodman, Robert Townsend, J. W. Steel, C. L. Connell, F. M. Warner, R. N. Leak, S. S. Barter, H. C. Moyer, William Jones, J. R. Drake, F. D. Hodgson and Harsey King. The following list comprises the officers and members of the church at the present time: Bishop, Edward G. Andrews; Presiding Elder, E. J. Hermans; Pastor, Harsey King; Trustees, J. F. Talladay, J. D. Banker, Edgar Cassidy, Edgar Hunt; Stewards, F. S. Baley, W. C. Cooper, R. Cassidy, M. C. Griffin, A. B. McMann, Levi Kunes, J. M. Payne, W. W. Payne, Wilson Smith, Horace Slaght, J. F. Talladay, E. J. Yarnell; Sunday School Superintendent, J. M. Payne; President Epworth League, Morris Smith; President Junior League, Mrs. H. Ring.
LIST OF MEMBERS
This transcription provided courtesy of Curtis Camp.
Click here for a biographical sketch of Rev. Harsey King, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Ovid, NY.
© 1999-2015 Diane Lerch Kurtz / Curtis Camp