PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF WEST FAYETTE
Fayette, Seneca County, NY
Source: "Manual of the Churches of Seneca County with sketches of their pastors, 1895-96", compiled and published by the Courier Printing Co., Seneca Falls, NY 1896.
The First Presbyterian Church of West Fayette was organized on the 5th of January, A. D. 1825. Rev. Henry Axtell, D.D. was chosen moderator and Rev. Azariah J. Orton was chosen clerk. There George Markle, John Mead and Tunis Dey. Its trustees were Anthony Dey, Pierson Dey, Stephen Cook, Josiah Easton and James Houghtaling. In 1825, land was donated to the society for erection of a church edifice bu Abraham Ackerman and Tunis Henion. The building was erected and dedicated during the year 1826.
The pastors and terms of service have been as follows: Rev. Isaac Flager, 1825-1828; Rev. W.H. Snyder, 1829-1832; Rev. James McMaster, 1832-1833; Rev. James M. McEllister, 1833-2834, Rev. Adams W. Platt, 1834-1837 Rev. Oren Catlin, 1837-1838; Rev. AIanson Scofield, 1838-1845; pulpit supplies, 1845-1848 ; Rev. J. N. Crittendon, 1848-1851; Rev. D. C. Tyler, I852-1854 ; pulpit supplies, 1854-1856; Rev. Ezra Jones, 1856-1858; Rev. James Abell, 1858-1860; Rev. William Atwood, 1861-1866; Rev.William H. Megie, 1866-1868; Rev. R. S. Lockwood, 1868-1870; pulpit supplies, 1870-1872 ; Rev. J.D. English, 1872-1875; Rev. Dr. S. H. Gridley, 1875-1877; Rev. E. Wilmot Cummings, 1877-1881; Rev. Willard P. Gibson, 1882-1886; pulpit supplies, 1886-1888; Rev. John Burkhart, 1888-1892; pulpit supplies, 1892-1894; Rev. Fletcher A. Valentine, 1894.
In 1878 the church was remodeled at a cost of three thousand dollars, and re-dedicated March 28, 1879. The present pastor is Rev. Fletcher A. Valentine, The officers are as follows: Elders, Caleb Sayer, Peter Kunes, James Post, John H. Schuhil Henry Dilldine and Benjamin Post; deacons; Garrett Van Sickle and David Kunes; trustees, John T. Roberson, Charles Angley, Lawson Pontius, Harry C. Post and John H. Schuhl.
LIST OF MEMBERS.
© 1999-2015 Diane Lerch Kurtz